Friday, April 29, 2016

Sweetness in the moments...not my mouth





When I was pregnant, I ate pretty well about 80 percent of the time.  But I wasn't going to deny myself a treat if I wanted it.  I ended up gaining about 70 lbs while pregnant.  While this may seem excessive, let me elaborate.  One, I didn't get gestational diabetes.  Two, I'm six feet tall.  Three, I really looked like I was smuggling a beach ball...I was all belly.  And four, both my mom and sister gained about the same amount with their pregnancies, so I'm thinking I was genetically inclined to do so as well.


Since having P almost 9 months ago, I have lost most of the weight.  I'm currently holding on to the last 10 or so pounds and they just don't want to budge.   I'm also finally trying to get back into shape and am finding the motivation and the time to work out.  I'm working full time, tired, and just not feeling it.  I'd rather curl up with a bag of peanut M&M's and watch TV.




I've been looking for a way to shake things up for a few weeks.  I know that something needs to change, but I didn't know how to do it.  Then I heard about the documentary from 2014 called "Fed Up."  It talks about the food industry, predominately about our addiction to sugar.  It was an eye opening film that I recommend to everyone.  After watching it, I knew what I needed to do.  So I decided to give up sugar for the entire month of May. 




The #fedupchallenge is only for 10 days and is very restrictive.  Over 80% of the food products on the market today have added sugar.  Things you wouldn't think would have sugar...ketchup, for example.  I knew I wanted to do this for a month, but I also knew I wasn't going to have the ability to critique every. single. label.  I still have to feed my husband and while he is supportive, he isn't going to give up sugar any time soon.  So I have myself a few guidelines to follow for my own challenge.


1.  No sweets (candy, cookies, cakes, etc.)


2.  No artificial sweeteners.


3.  Fruit, and other natural sugars, are allowed.


4.  Limit added sugars as much as reasonable.


5.  Limit refined carbs as much as possible.


These seemed to be reasonable and also meant that I didn't have to alter how I fed my husband that much either.  If I was making pasta for him for dinner, I could make zoodles for myself and use the same sauce.  Yes, there will be sugar in the sauce, but I can find a sauce with the least amount. 




Half the battle is identifying and educating myself on all of the "hidden" sources of sugar.  There are so many different things that sugar is labeled as, it can be a bit daunting.  While my purpose for giving up sugar isn't solely weight loss, I would be lying if I said that wasn't part of it at all.  I need to lose this baby weight.  I want to feel confident wearing a bikini this summer at the beach.  And I want to be a good example for my son.  It's important to me.




Sugar is a frightening addiction in our society and one that I'm a little nervous, but excited to take on.  I can't wait to see how my body reacts.


In addition to quitting sugar for the month of May, I have four other goals.


1.  Drink at least a gallon of water a day.


2.  Refocus my workouts, to include weights, and get something in 5 times a week.


3.  Get at least 10K steps a day.


4.  Refocus my stress to something other than picking my nails and skin around my nails (such a bad habit and my fingers are looking horrible lately).


I'm generally really bad at challenges.  I give up and my sticking to it-ness kind of sucks.  But I'm determined.  I know there will be some rough days in that first 7-10 days while I'm detoxing off sugar, but if I can get through that, I can do the month.  As a reward for making it through the month and accomplishing all of my goals, I'm going to treat myself to a spa day...facial, massage, and a haircut and color.  It will be glorious and something I desperately need. 


I plan on checking in every Friday with a sugar detox update post.  That way I can document how the process is progressing.  My starting stats will be taken (weight and measurements) on 1 May and I'll take them again on 31 May to see if I saw any improvement.  This is going to be an adventure!




No comments:

Post a Comment